Times are tricky at the moment with COVID-19 as a K&B remodeler or countertop company. My clients are still getting leads but some homeowners don’t want you in their homes so you need to prepare. You have 2 major factors at the moment that can help your business during this time.
1. People will be home more with a lot of time on their hands. When people are at home, they will be online more. Keep putting pictures of jobs out there so they see them in their Facebook and Instagram feeds.
2. Video technology is very easy to use. You can show people your showroom virtually, show them slabs you have in stock and YOU can look at their space they need work done all virtually. Whether it’s a new lead or someone that wants to hold off. Tell them you can do a virtual estimate.
If this virus sticks around for 1, 3, 6 months you will need to fill up your pipeline with projects so when this clears, you can come back strong. You NEED to start doing virtual estimates.
*DISCLAIMER* I know doing anything virtually in your field is not easy. You can’t measure virtually and you can’t get a complete feel of the project unless you are physically there. BUT a virtual estimate is going to build a connection with your prospect because it’s something your competitors aren’t doing. Plus it’s more than a call, they see your face. And also, seeing their space with video does give you a better idea of what they want.
I came up with a complete game plan you can follow to start doing virtual estimates and it doesn’t cost you a dime. I also created a 1-sheet handout you can send to your customers so they are setup for a virtual estimate.
Virtual Estimate Process & Training
The process is simple. Below I’ll walk you through the complete setup. The process is:
1. Download all the video apps and test them
2. Schedule an estimate and use Calendly
3. Send your customer the 1-sheeter so they are ready
4. Do the estimate
5. Keep their information in a spreadsheet
Watch this quick video for an explanation of the process.
1. Download all the video apps below.
– FaceTime (iPhone only): Should be installed but you can download it here.
– Google Duo: Android devices use this but iPhone can use it too. Download the iPhone app here. And the Android app here.
– Skype: Any device can use Skype. iPhone download here. Android download here.
You want to give them a good test. Ask a family member or friend to help you out and test each one so you know how to use them. I have video’s below going over how to use each app.
2. Schedule a time to do their video chat.
Calendly is an awesome online scheduler (they have a free plan). TIP: In your scheduler, ask them what type of phone they have so then your followup email you can tell them how you are going to connect with them. I show you how to set it up in the video below.
3. Send your customer my 1-sheet handout so they can download the correct apps.
Send a confirmation email like the one below:
Hey NAME, thanks for scheduling your virtual estimate. I attached instructions on how we can do the estimate. We can either use FaceTime, Skype or Google Duo. I have all 3 on my phone so we can use whichever you are most comfortable with.
I’ll give you a quick call before the estimate so we can setup the video chat. I look forward to speaking with you!
4. Do the estimate.
– Give your potential customer a quick phone call.
– Find out what app they want to use, and then call them on that app.
5. Keep a spreadsheet or log of everyone that contacts you.
This is essential. You will want to contact these people back after the dust settles.
Training For Using The Video Apps
If you are unsure on how to use the latest video apps, I created video training below for each one. Comment below if you have any questions!
How To Use FaceTime
If you have an iPhone and your customer has an iPhone, use FaceTime. It’s very easy to use. You can not use FaceTime with Android devices.
How To Use Google Duo
If you have an Android and your customer has an Android, use Google Duo. Androids and iPhone’s can also video chat with Duo.
How To Use Skype
Most devices can Skype with each other. It’s not as easy to use as the other 2 apps, but a lot of people do have Skype.
REMEMBER: Make sure you have all of the apps installed on your phone and practice using them. You want this to be as seemless as possible on your customers end.
If you have any questions at all please email me personally at email@example.com or comment below. I know this is a tough time for everyone and I’m here to help anyway I can. Also make sure to download my 1-sheet handout that you can give to your customers.